Neck Pain Relief in St. Louis
Nearly everyone has experienced neck pain at some point in their life, but it's estimated that between 10-21% of Americans suffer from ongoing symptoms in the cervical spine. Chiropractors specialize in the health of the cervical spine and surrounding tissues. Countless studies have attested to the effectiveness of chiropractic care and physical therapy for neck pain. Whether you've injured yourself in a car accident or are simply suffering from persistent spinal pain, our St. Louis chiropractors can diagnose the source of your injury and develop a non-invasive treatment plan to get you on the road to health.
Why Do I Have Neck Pain?
Here are common reasons for neck pain we frequently treat in St. Louis, MO clinic.
- Car Accidents: The force of an auto collision may cause your body to propel forward as your head lags behind. This difference in motion can stretch, strain, or tear the muscles and ligaments in your neck, causing whiplash injury. Whiplash may also involve damage to the facet joints, cervical discs, and nerve roots.
- Trauma: Any blow or sudden force to the head can damage the tissues and structures of the neck. This can occur in car accident, sports injury, work injury, or other trauma.
- Aging: The spinal discs that separate and cushion the vertebrae begin to dehydrate and collapse with age. This may make you susceptible to disc herniation, degenerative joint disease (osteoarthritis), and spinal stenosis (or a narrowing of the spine.
- Osteoarthritis: A traumatic accident such an auto injury, or just general aging, may lead to the development of osteoarthritis in the neck. Arthritis causes cartilage destruction which may lead to stiff, uncoordinated joints. Your body may also try to compensate for the loss in cartilage by development bone spurs which can impinge a spinal nerve.
- Occupation: Jobs that require you to sit for hours on end are a frequent source of work injuries like neck pain, back pain, and sciatica. Sitting places an increased load on the spine, and too much sedentary time may weaken your back and core muscles.
- Other common causes: Poor posture, obesity, and daily stress can all lead to persistent neck pain.
How Can I Cure Neck Pain Naturally?
Our St. Louis chiropractors will perform a complete physical and neurological examination of your neck, spine, and shoulders. They will use call X-ray and other imaging techniques only when necessary. After ascertaining the cause of your neck pain, our doctors will put together a non-invasive treatment plan that will include chiropractic adjustments, soft tissue techniques,acupuncture, and physical therapy.
Research shows that chiropractic adjustments and exercise can provide significant relief for many patients with neck pain. In fact, chiropractic adjustments were found to be more effective than common medications for alleviating pain. If you're searching for efficient relief of neck pain in St. Louis, contact Accident & Pain Relief of St. Louis today.
Bronfort G, et al. Spinal Manipulation, medication, or home exercise with advice for acute and subacute neck pain: a randomized trial. Annals of Internal Medicine 2012; 156 (1): 1-10.
Hoy DG, et al. The epidemiology of neck pain. Best Practice & Research Clinical Theumatology 2010; 24 (6): 783-92. doi: 10.1016/j.berh.2011.01.019.
Chiropractic care and neck pain: conservative care of cervical pain, injury. American Chiropractic Association. http://www.acatoday.org/content_css.cfm?CID=2430.