When you have neck pain, about the only thing you can think about is how to stop it! You may be at work focusing on completing a project when you move your neck in a way that the pain practically brings tears to your eyes. That’s all it takes for your mind to switch to think about the neck pain and what you’re going to do to overcome it.
The two choices most people immediately think about are chiropractic vs. drugs for neck pain. (Of course, taking drugs for neck pain assumes you’ll have a medical doctor appointment and medical evaluation simultaneously.) What are the pros and cons of both choices?
Pros and Cons of Chiropractic Vs Drugs for Neck Pain
- Your chiropractor is a reputable health care.
- Your chiropractor offers natural methods of pain relief without any side effects. These don’t although they won’t take it hurt.
- Chiropractic manipulation restores the nervous system innervation to the spine and misaligned vertebrae, which bring nerve impulses to the different organs, muscles, and tissues so healing can begin.
Drugs for Neck Pain Pros:
- Your medical doctor is a reputable provider.
- Drugs may reduce pain but they won't take it away completely.
- You'll have to create time in your schedule for appointments.
- Your chiropractor will evaluate your lifestyle, while looking for things that predispose your body to future injuries and aggravation of current issues. He may ask you to change unhealthy habits or other factors that could contribute to the issue, causing you to make the uncomfortable commitment to change.
- Side effects from medications may include slowing down the intestinal tract, severe constipation, thinning the stomach walls and making them susceptible to ulcers, GI distress, and other symptoms. Internal bleeding and hemorrhaging may also result.
- Besides pain suppression, nothing is done to restore the function of the damaged tissues such as the nerves, muscles and tissues. Thus, the damage ‘remains’ and your body has to adapt to it.
- Drugs for neck pain suppress pain making it easier to aggravate the present condition.
In your decision of chiropractic vs. drugs for neck pain, consider the pros and cons and make your best decision. At Accident & Pain Relief of St. Louis, Dr. Holland understands that pain medications may be necessary, especially in the initial phase after a car accident or work injury. His goal is to uses drug-free, non-invasive methods to decrease your reliance on drugs, while safely and efficiently easing neck pain over time.
While nearly everyone can benefit from regular visits to a chiropractor, there are some individuals who can especially benefit from chiropractic care. These individuals are at a higher risk of spinal conditions due to their occupation, physical activity level, or personal health history.
Physically Demanding Employment
If you have a job where you are on your feet most of the day or all day you should consider an adjustment. If you are lifting, moving and generally getting a full physical day in, an appointment with a chiropractor can help you maintain your healthy body.
If you have delivered a baby recently you should consider getting evaluated for adjustment. Delivering babies easily makes a woman’s hips get out of proper alignment. This can cause ongoing pain for years if left without treatment. Many women simply chalk it up to one of the pitfalls of becoming a mother and don’t realize they can go on without pain simply be getting adjusted. Additionally chiropractors can provide relief during your pregnancy to help you avoid back pain while you're expecting.
Those Who’ve Been in an Accident
Another group of people that absolutely benefit from chiropractic care are those who have been involved in an accident--whether in a car accident, work injury, slip and fall, or other traumatic personal injury event. For these individuals, getting the proper adjustment from a qualified chiropractor can take years off of the healing process for them. At Accident & Pain Relief of St. Louis, Dr. Holland specializes in diagnosing and treating auto injuries, and has provided expedient rehabilitation and pain relief for hundreds of patients.
People who live a busy, athletic life can be more prone to needing an adjustment. Whether involved in a sport that’s considered high-impact or simply doing light dance routines, getting regularly checked by a specialist can ensure you’re not doing any damage. It can also make sure that you stay at your best health to improve your athletic performance.
Adults Over the Age of 50
Aging causes the spinal disc to dehydrate and collapse, making you more prone to bulging discs, sciatica, and lower back pain. It's quite possible to injure a spinal disc or strain a muscle by simply bending the wrong way or lifting heavy objects. A bulging, herniated disc may pinch a spinal nerve, causing intense back pain, neck pain, and even symptoms of numbness, tingling, or muscle weakness in your arms and legs. Spinal discs can also be pinched due to spinal stenosis, a narrowing of the spine, or from boney overgrowths caused by osteoarthritis. Seeking regular chiropractic adjustments from your St. Louis chiropractor will help to slow spinal degeneration and prevent painful spinal conditions associated with aging.
Anyone Interested in Improving their Overall Health
Research shows that chiropractors can help to reduce blood pressure, improve your immunity, and mediate stress --- all factors that can have a big impact on your overall health and wellness. The spine protects the spinal cord, a cable-line between your brain and the nerves to the rest of the body. Chiropractic adjustments will keep your central nervous system at top shape, so you can experience better health.
So while Dr. Holland can help you recover from auto accidents in St. Louis, his treatments will also boost your total body wellness. Contact Accident and Pain Relief of St. Louis to start feeling better today!
Often, people walk away from car accidents, both severe collisions and minor fender benders, with no noticeably serious auto injuries. This fact is both a blessing and a curse; a blessing because it is obviously great news whenever someone escapes a car accident with no serious injuries to deal with, but a curse because a lack of broken bones or cuts can leave people thinking that their collision had absolutely no effect on their health.
In reality, a car accident can often lead to an auto injury that does not immediately make itself obvious. Here’s how it usually happens: someone will get in a minor fender bender, exchange insurance information with the other person involved in the crash, and then drive home thinking that nothing is wrong.
The next day or a few days after the fact, the driver will start complaining of back pain or neck pain. These pains, likely the result of whiplash and spinal misalignment, indicate that the car accident actually did cause an injury. If left untreated, these often-minor spinal injuries can escalate and worsen, leading to years of chronic back and neck pain, and potentially even causing decreased mobility.
See a Chiropractor to Prevent Chronic Pain from Auto Injuries
In order to catch minor auto injuries before they become major, drivers should schedule a chiropractic appointment right away after a car accident. At Accident Pain & Relief, we have doctors on staff that are specifically trained and experienced in handling auto injury patients. So if you’ve recently been involved in a car accident, call your St. Louis chiropractor today. Even if you don’t think you are injured, a simple visit to our offices might save you years of pain and hassle after an auto injury.
Chronic back pain can be a grueling burden. Luckily there are a few easy rules you can apply to your life that will help you live without pain. Consider some of the following tips from your St. Louis chiropractor to ease your back pain.
1. Eat a Healthy Diet: Eating a healthy diet can help alleviate problems with inflammation. Inflammation is one of the biggest reasons people suffer immune issues and chronic pain issues. To help reduce inflammation, eat lots of healthy fats like walnuts, flax seed, and avocado. You will also want to avoid excess sugar, caffeine, and processed foods.
2. Stay Active: To help ensure your back is healthy and pain free well into your golden years, you’ll want to make sure to stay active. Perhaps the gym isn’t for you, but what about hiking or yoga? There is likely some activity that will get you up and about for an hour or so a day that you’ll enjoy. Gardening, bicycling, swimming and others are all great ways of fitting in some exercise.
3. Wear Supportive Shoes: Women suffer from a disproportionate amount of back trouble simply in relation to their shoes. If you wear high heels to work every day your body will start to groan with aches and pains. On the other extreme, ballet flats do not offer enough arch support, so can be another cause of back pain. Try opting for high-quality supportive shoes without a huge heel.
4. Visit a Chiropractor: Seeing your St. Louis chiropractor is an excellent way to prevent and relieve back pain. They will examine your back and general health to give you an idea of what needs to be done to keep your body aligned properly.
5. Watch Your Posture: Something your mother used to tell you about not slouching, ring a bell? There is truth to maintaining good posture to keeping a pain-free back. Work on sitting up straight, with your hips and shoulders aligned properly for best relief. Our St. Louis chiropractors can perform a postural analysis to make sure the way you carry your body isn't contributing to pain.
If you're searching for lasting back pain relief, contact our chiropractors at Accident & Pain Relief of St. Louis today.
There is no reason for you to grin and bear it when it comes to back pain. There are many things you’ll want to do to help get over the suffering from a troubled back, and here some ways that our St. Louis chiropractors can help to relieve your discomfort.
One way of getting rid of chronic back pain is to visit a high quality acupuncturist. These experts can help you get relief by placing dozens of tiny, specialized needles into your muscles at strategic points. Acupuncture is based on a form of Chinese medicine that has helped countless people find relief from all sorts of different conditions. The effectiveness of this ancient method has now been confirmed by modern scientists who have demonstrated that acupuncture provides clinical benefits for a range of conditions, including back pain, headache, chronic pain relief, and more.
There are many health benefits to exercise, not the least of which is losing weight. If you are even ten or fifteen pounds overweight, you may find this is a considerable factor in your back pain trouble. If you’re looking for relief you can exercise to lose weight. You can also find strategic exercises that will help you find relief from your back pain. Workouts like yoga and Pilates can help you elongate your muscles, utilize your breathing, and get control over your pain. Our St. Louis chiropractors are trained in physical therapy and exercise rehabilitation, so can help you find the right, safe exercise to perform to reduce back pain.
Visit a Chiropractor
One of the most proven ways to find real relief from back pain is via a chiropractor. These qualified experts can help you by getting your body back in alignment. One of the biggest reasons people suffer through back pain is because they need an adjustment. A chiropractic adjustment can help your body get back into its proper position and help you get relief from your back pain.
At Accident & Pain Relief of St. Louis, we offer all three of these services all under the same roof. Patients who visit our St. Louis office can be assured that they're receiving the best, evidence-based care tailored to their specific needs.
Most people have some recognition of migraine headaches or tension-type headaches from straining over a computer too long or leading a stressful life. There is another headache that is perhaps the most debilitating though – cluster headaches. Some women have claimed that the excruciating pain of these attacks is worse than that of childbirth and many people are forced to miss work during the onset.
Comes In Cycles
The cluster headache is also often referred to as alarm headaches because they occur at specific times every day. When a sufferer is in cycle the pain might come at 10 AM 6 PM and 2 AM almost like clockwork. There are even some people that are in-cycle continuously and have these attacks almost every day of their life. It should be also noted that cluster aches occur in only one side of the head.
What are the Causes?
Abnormalities in the hypothalamus of the brain is believed to behind the cause of cluster headache but the exact cause is still unknown. There are hints that hormones and genetics may be involved in the cause. Certain factors may make the attack worse such as smoking, drinking alcohol, bacon, cocaine, medications, or air travel and heavy exertion.
How Are Cluster Headaches Remedied?
The best way so far to stop the pain of these headaches when they attack is to breathe in 100% pure oxygen. Some medications also help prevent and control the pain but it's not known why these work so finding the right dose for each person is a hit and miss process. For instance heart medication, anti-psychosis pills, anti-seizure prescriptions, and steroids all have varying levels of absolving the aches in different people. Calming the nerves through a chiropractor, biofeedback therapy, or relaxation therapy may also assist in prevention. Hopefully more information will come to light on the causes of and prevention methods for these damaging headaches.
Many patients develop headache after whiplash or other auto injuries. Our St. Louis chiropractors can help in the diagnosis and management of chronic headache. Studies show that chiropractic adjustments and physical therapy can alleviate many common types of headache like cervicogenic, migraine, and tension-type headache. Contact Accident & Pain Relief of St. Louis to find natural relief of headache today.
Many patients come to our St. Louis office wondering why they're experiencing headaches after a car accident injury, when they didn't strike their head during the crash.
Headaches after a car accident have a number of potential causes. If you have experienced a whiplash injury or cervical disc herniation, you may start to suffer from cervicogenic headaches. These headaches are form of referred pain that radiate from irritated nerves in the neck.
Tensions headaches are another possible type of headache that frequently develop as a result of muscle tension or spasms after a tissue injury. Dealing with the stressful after events of a car crash, like litigation and filing insurance claims, can also cause significant stress leading to tension headaches or migraine.
Headaches may be a sign of a more serious condition, like vascular injury or brain injury, so it's important to be evaluated by your doctor or St. Louis chiropractor as soon as possible. Contact Accident & Pain Relief of St. Louis for non-invasive treatment of headache.
Neck pain is one of the most common symptoms experienced after a car accident, affecting up to 90% of auto-injury patients. If you were involved in a minor collision you may have walked away from the accident relatively unscratched, only to wake up the next day with a stiff, sore neck. Perhaps you pop a few pain relievers and hope the pain goes away in a few days, but what happens if it persists?
Here are five steps you can take to treat neck pain after a car accident in St. Louis, MO.
- Ice: As soon as you notice pain in your neck, apply ice packs to the painful areas for up to 30 minutes several times a day. This will help calm the inflammation and numb the pain.
- Anti-inflammatory Medications: Taking some Ibuprofen or Advil can help to ease the pain and decrease inflammation temporarily, but you'll need a long-term solution for relief. Long-term use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs can lead to liver, kidney, and stomach problems.
- See a Doctor: Visit your St. Louis chiropractor or your family physician as soon as possible after the auto injury. This will help to establish the extent of your injury, and help you develop a treatment plan to prevent chronic symptoms.
- Stretch: When your initial pain subsides, performing gentle stretches can help you regain flexibility and strength in your neck. Our St. Louis chiropractors can use teach safe physical therapy exercises to prevent the development of harmful scar tissue.
- Get Adjusted: Chiropractic neck adjustments can also aide in preventing harmful scar tissue to decrease disability and pain.
Our St. Louis chiropractors are experienced in treating neck pain and whiplash after car accidents. Call Accident and Pain Relief of St. Louis to find lasting relief of neck pain today.
You work in an office. This means you spend a majority of your day at your desk, usually on a computer or phone. You may have realized the mental and emotional ramifications of this lifestyle by now, but do you know the physical side affects? Here are just a few of these potentially dangers physical issues that come from working in an office, and a few way to combat them.
Despite popular opinion, humans weren't designed to sit in chairs. The constant use of chairs by those who work in an office environment has a long-term effect on the spine. This causes back pain, especially lower back pain.
Get up from your chair as often as possible – walk in circle within your office if possible, preferably every thirty minutes. You can also do stretches within your chair to promote blood flow in your spine, and prevent any additional damage.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Carpal tunnel syndrome is the bane of those who work with computers – the constant strain and pressure upon your wrists is enough to cause long-lasting damage. This carpal tunnel syndrome can cause spikes of pain in and around your wrist area, making it hard to grasp things and even harder to type on a keyboard.
Make sure your wrist have proper support – invest in a soft keyboard support as well as a mouse-pad with a wrist support included. Stretches are key to keeping your wrists healthy – see your St.Louis chiropractor so that we can help get your wrists back into tip-top shape.
Stress is a problem for everyone, but especially those who work in office environments. Take time every day to wind down and pamper yourself. Participate in fulfilling, rewarding activities to counteract the lack of fulfillment you might feel from work.
Stress, unfortunately, can manifest as a myriad of physical issues. The tension stress causes all across your body can cause stomach pain, spinal pain, neck pain, and more. If you feel that stress is beginning to have a physical impact on you, head to a doctor promptly.
Our St. Louis chiropractors can relieve the neck pain, back pain, and other symptoms associated with office work. Seeing a chiropractor sooner rather than later will prevent you from developing chronic, lifelong problems.